Monday, October 01, 2012

Thoughts on building a guitar

It has been a dream of mine to build a guitar. In fact, when I was in college, I started building all the forms needed to bend the wood for one. But - I never progressed past building those forms. 

Paying rent got in the way!

In the mid 90s, I stupidly brushed a fingertip across my table saw blade, sweeping away a piece of cut-off wood. Ouch, playing guitar was never the same. I sold my guitars a few years later, and have been without one ever since. 

Now I'm jonesing for one! 





This factory tour is really interesting. Who knew there was so much hand work that goes in to building an Ovation guitar? I thought the spraying part of this video was particularly fascinating. 




 I found this clip in today's NY Times.  

No comments: