Saturday, October 20, 2012

Albuterol and Ralph Waldo Emerson - try tying those together in a normal woodworking conversation!

Every now and then, I'll have a reaction to a wood I'm using - and in this case - working with this Aromatic Cedar has proven a challenge. I'm just happy I have a good supply of Albuterol.



The side effects are often worse than the benefits. Imagine drinking 20 cups of coffee before trying to go to sleep. 


Usually - the most common things woodworkers have to deal with are splinters or sore backs. But trust me - breathing issues are just as bad. 

I planed the sides of this table base 


and trimmed them to length.


But there were some cracks that worried me.


I pulled out the butterfly template and decided to add a few to the base, to stop the advancing splits.


Thank God for plunge routers!






 Part of the challenge while designing a piece of furniture is coming up with hardware that fits the piece. These beefy sides are going to need hardware that won't be readily available. So my next step will be to design and make something. 

A favorite quote of mine by Ralph Waldo Emerson  - 

"Men admire the man who can organize their wishes and thoughts in stone and wood and steel and brass"

seems particularly appropriate right now, although I'd like to substitute "woman" for "man" in the first line!



1 comment:

Vegas Lupe said...

Albuterol rules!!! Instant asthma stopper. :-) No wonder I am so hyper...

Table's looking good, woman!