Friday, July 10, 2020

"You had time"... to build a Tie Cabinet


This shutdown (and the imminent re-opening) of Nevada has been a mixed lasting for a lot of businesses. Quite a few of my peers have told me that business is brisk, and that this period has been a blessing in disguise. 

For me, it's been a mixed bag. Not a day goes by when I don't hear from students who are yearning to get back into the shop. They miss the camaraderie, and the access to the tools. 

Frankly - they miss making cool stuff!

Speaking of cool stuff - I finally finished my tie cabinet. 


Back in the day, I used to wear neck ties. And I amassed a very nice collection of them - everything from hand painted silk ties (with woodworking motifs!) to some really fun designs. 

Who doesn't love a Mr. Potato Head tie?! 


A few of my ties have woodworking and plumbing designs, too! 



When I used to volunteer for the local AIDS task force, this condom tie was a big hit! 


I LOVELOVELOVE these pop culture ties, like this SPAM design and this Batman tie. 


And this Pink Floyd tie got a lot of use, back in the day.  


I had to thin out the collection - there were just too many!  

This cabinet had its start 17 years ago, when I made these doors at an Anderson Ranch design seminar. 


These doors hung in my studio for a long time, and every time I looked at them, I made a mental note to get that cabinet made. 

When I had some free time...

The shutdown gave me the time I needed - in fact, I've built myself a couple of pieces in the last few months. But this tie cabinet is one that I love the most. 


It features three drawers, 



and one removable tray. 



To commemorate this period, I lasered a small plate for the back. 


The shop is re-opening to the public this coming weekend, and it will be very interesting to have people back on the tools. 

It feels good to check this cabinet off of my "to do" list.  I'm looking at this shutdown as a blessing in disguise - I'm so saddened by the loss of life, the loss of people's livelihoods, and how some businesses have simply disappeared.  It's mind boggling to realize that some of these things are... simply... gone.   

But we're a resilient bunch, and we'll figure this out someday. Meanwhile, just "having time" will have to suffice. 

Here's one of my favorite Ani DiFranco songs - You had time.  

Enjoy!

No comments: