Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Bed Rail Fasteners and the Man Stool


The good news is - the bed hardware arrived!



I've made a few beds using these bed rail fasteners and one thing I've learned is this - installing them isn't easy. They have to be mortised into the ends of the bed rails, and since those rails are about 80 inches long, it's a little difficult and labor intensive.


Here's an odd thing - on Rockler's website, where I purchased these, there are some comments/reviews about these fasteners. Almost every review mentions "if these are installed properly, they're great" blah, blah, blah. That's the key - they have to be installed perfectly.

But if you go to Woodcraft's website and read the reviews about these fasteners, many of their reviews mention that these bed rails are difficult to install. That's been my experience, too.

So... either Rockler is stuffing their review section with praises about these fasteners, or their customers just have more skills than WoodCraft customers. You decide.

I've devised my own method for cutting the mortises, and I'll be working on that today. And shooting pictures of it for this blog, of course.

Meanwhile, I thought I'd share a hilarious image I recently found. I'm in the last week of teaching a chair building class, and I sent some chair links to everyone in the class. Here is one of the most interesting chairs I found in my web travels. It is called the Man Stool.


You can read more about it here.

Don't you just love the world wide web?


No comments: