Monday, December 08, 2008

It's a soup day...

The best thing about living in Lav Vegas is the weather, even though the summers are blistering. Honestly, there have only been one or two times that the heat has kept me inside, in the air conditioning. See, I lived in cold weather for so long, I just got to the point where I couldn't take it anymore.

Still every now and then, I long for a "soup day", where the cold temps outside combine with a simmering pot of soup on the stove to create foggy windows. It's like that here today, a cool day, with snow on Mt. Charleston, which I can see from my studio. That's about as close to snow as I want to be.

The following video is another great way to enjoy the snow from a distance.



It's a busy time of the year for me, I'm somewhat swamped with work, and most of my days are filled with making, selling, packing, shipping and sleeping. I've got a few commitments coming up next week that will probably keep me from posting much... so until then, I hope everyone remains safe and sane this holiday season.

Here's one of my favorite soup recipes. I copied in into a cookbook years ago, so I can't be certain - but I think it's from Gourmet Magazine, around 1980 or so.
It's perfect for a day like this:

Sweet Corn and Crabmeat Soup

4 cups chicken stock
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
2/3 cup crab meat
1 can cream-style corn
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
2 Tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tablespoons water
1 scallion, minced fine

Combine chicken stock and oil in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Add crabmeat and corn, and boil again. Add in cayenne, soy sauce, stir in cornstarch mixture. Stir and allow to boil again, then simmer for a minute or two. When ready to serve, stir in scallions and ladle into bowls.



No comments: