Thursday, December 18, 2008

Fantasy furniture and building products

Life has been a little hectic around here.

I know I always say that, but it's true. Combine holiday madness, family stuff, pet issues, not to mention snow in Las Vegas, and you'll understand why I've been too busy to blog lately.

That will all change soon, and I have a few interesting topics to discuss here, so stay tuned.

Meanwhile, I thought I'd share a couple of interesting photos with you.




I'm just not sure what to make of this stool, but it reminds me of a class I took in college, called Fantasy Furniture. We not only studied pieces like above, but had to design and build a piece of our own.

Here's what I came up with... sorry for the lousy picture, but it's all I have left of the piece.


A drafting desk carved from a log. Unfortunately, the base of the log wasn't wide enough to keep the desk from tipping over when someone sat on it.


Incorporated in my design was an ass carved on one side of the seat of the desk. I decided to the only logical solution for supporting the desk was to create a tripod support, coming off the ass. I made a mold of my arm and hand, and cast a three-handed tripod made in bronze.

Oh, I know that sounds insane, but remember - it was the 70's, and I was in art school. Figure it out.


The (tripod) hand held the ass, and in turn, supported the whole desk, keeping it from tipping over. Problem solved.



I used to have a Weimaraner, a great guard dog who loved to see who was pulling up the driveway. She'd terrorize anyone coming within thirty feet of the house, and even the Invisible Fence didn't stop her from chasing cars back down the driveway. Anyone who has ever had a Weim as a pet knows they're "different", which is a nice way of calling them crazy-ass animals.

Whoever invented that doggie window (above) really came up with a great idea. My only thought about it is how to clean the slobber build-up inside it.


No comments: