Saturday, June 24, 2023

My latest WIP....

 If you scroll down a bit, you'll see a really cool project that I worked on a few months ago. It was for a miniature mailbox, to display some brass mail slots.


That same wonderful customer of mine has challenged me to display her door knocker collection, and the first thing I thought of was making miniature pre-hung doors, to display each door knocker. I searched online for some interesting doors, and printed off a few of them, letting my client decide which ones she liked.


I started with a fairly simple one, it was going to be a rectangular shaped, arched panel door. A couple of details we added to it with some storage, and possibly a shadowbox within.


Making the frame and the jam was easy,



 but it just needed something. 


So I added some crown molding to give it a little pizzazz.


My buddy Rick had a laser large enough to add some brick detail to the sides, so we lasered some brick artwork (to scale!)



and I milk painted them red, to match traditional brick colors.





I ended up not really liking the red color with the mahogany tones of the wood. 



so I ended up enlisting another friend to help me "age" the facade of the door. 


Pieces like this are always a work in progress, better known as WIP. It feels like my shop is full of those!


Kris B is amazing; she used a variety of materials to get the aged, stucco-like effect on the piece. 




The addition of some dentil molding made all the difference. 



This piece gets hung on the wall via a French cleat.




Wait'll you see the next door I'm working on, I have clearly jumped down a rabbit hole....






No comments: