Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Ch-ch-changes....


There have been some big changes over here, and a few of you have written, asking about them.


 And we all know the old adage - nothing is as constant as change. 

I officially retired from teaching a few weeks ago, and luckily - found the best person to take the reins at the shop. 


Say hello to the new owner of Wood It Is! - Jeff Sher has been working with wood for decades, and has been teaching at the shop for a few years. He's smart, talented, and has the perfect personality for coaxing the best out of people.  

I couldn't be happier that he's going to take the school to the next level. His vision for upcoming classes, combined with an openness to hear everyone's opinions about what they want to learn, puts him at the top of the teaching list, in my book. 

I've thought long and hard about what it takes to be a good instructor.  Yes, skill is right up there; you have to know how to design and build quality pieces in order to help people learn how to do the same. Everyone runs into problems from time to time, but the key is knowing how to solve those issues quickly, and with good results. 

And also - I think this is awfully important in teaching - you never want to make your students feel like they've done something that can't be fixed. Or that they've asked a "dumb" question. There are no dumb questions. 

Encouragement is the greatest motivator.


So I hope you'll welcome Jeff into the mix, and consider taking a class with him someday. (He has a few coming up at the end of this month.)

As for me - I'm going back to being a maker. I've moved some tools into a new shop, and look forward to getting back to building furniture again soon. 

But - I'm REALLY looking forward to work with clay again. It's been ages since I've thrown a pot, or glazed a tile. But this wooden mechanical creation by Oliver Pett got me revved up again. 



So if you don't find me at the shop, you'll probably spy me near the slab roller or the wheel. 


Trust me, there are enough designs in my head to fill up a decade or two! 


Speaking of that, here are a few memorable moments of classes at the shop. 


We've had great artists who share their insane talents. Like Master Carver Dennis, who takes students beyond their wildest woodworking imaginations.


And Len - who was always so well prepared, good natured and genuinely cared about his students and their work. 



The classes out at Nellis were always fun!



You know what we did a lot of?... laughing and making friends, all while building. 



Sometimes it could be intense,


 but in the end, I don't think you'll find a single students who didn't enjoy it... the camaraderie, the cool projects, and the skills. 


It's all about the skills. 


Some people even fall in love!


Anyway, I've loved every minutes of my 28 years of teaching - so thanks for the memories!








By the way - this student's course evaluation is one of my favorites.  




Thanks everyone - don't let your (design) guard down... keep making beautiful work.




9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your retirement Jamie! I’m really excited for you now that you get to kickback and relax, lol. I know you loved teaching but I also know your first love is build furniture as I am still the proud owner of one of your first rocking chairs.
Enjoy and continue to live life to the fullest.

Garold said...

Retiring!!! Impossible, once a teacher, always a teacher. Also, much too young - seems like only a week ago you graduated from high school. Now on to your next great adventures. Congrats.

Amy Ling said...

Congrats on your retirement Jamie!! I’m so sad I didn’t get to take another class of yours after hearing about you from Wincy and other people =(. And how fun! Back to being a maker! Looking forward to seeing all that you create!

Clay sounds fun too! I haven’t touched it since that 1 college project almost 20yrs ago hahaha. Maybe I will once Theo is older.

Randy said...

Jamie, Thank you for the past 10 years of sharing your skills, facilities, and friendship. Enjoy your retirement, as you are calling it. Really the next phase of your life. We will miss you and here is hoping Jeff has the success you enjoyed.
Randy and Julie Glau

Matthew Mead said...

Congratulations on the retirement Jamie. You will be dearly missed. I only wish I would have found the school sooner and been able to work side by side with you more. You are a great teacher and everyone really enjoyed your style. I really enjoy Jeff and his style and new ideas he plans on bringing to the school. You know I will sign up for every class possible. Keep making great things, enjoy your retirement and don’t be a stranger. You have my number.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your retirement! You have much to be proud of! Now that you have all this time on your hands, you can come back and forth once a month--like you promised!! I'm gonna plug you into the wall!
Deb

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! Have fun with your new endeavor! Let’s catch up some time soon!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on retiring Jamie!! I have just recently done the same. I thoroughly enjoyed classes in Akron and the friendships. I think of you often. Good luck with future endeavors!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie
I was looking at what classes were coming up and I happened upon this blog. Didn’t know you retired and I was even more sad to hear about your recent illness. My prayers are with you and I can’t thank you enough for all the help you’ve given me. Thanks, Jerry Prendergast