Saturday, February 03, 2018

When it rains, it pours....

If it seems like I've been MIA lately, you're not wrong. 

I've been working my tail off, finishing up a ton of repairs and miscellaneous small things, with a few larger projects thrown in the mix.

For some reason, chair repair was on everyone's mind during the month of January. This bad boy came into my shop in five different pieces, and required some outside-the-box repair to get it back in shape.


I had to rebuild a few areas on the base, in order to re-assemble it Sort of like Humpty-Dumpty. But ... wood.


It seems like a few of these wandered in, to be re-glued and sent on their merry way. One thing's for sure, I don't like doing these repairs, but I feel like they provide a necessary service for the people in my area.  


In between all of that, we finished up a Spoon carving class that was very fun. 



This group was not only talented, 


but they had great chemistry and made some fun spoons.We started off with shallow spoons, 


but finished up the course with deeper ladles and even a bit of carving. I was quite impressed. 


My California connection shipped some fabulous slabs, and within days, they were almost all sold. This book matched set was snatched up almost immediately. 


These are the last three I have left, and I swear - these are the ones I liked best!



Seems like live-edge work was in demand - a student and I finished up her table, attaching the top at her nephew's house. This beast was gorgeous, the picture doesn't do it justice. 


 And I was working on this low table, a rush order that (sort of) kicked my ass! 

From glue-up, 



to staining, 


to lacquering  - I always felt like I was behind schedule and working to catch up on the other 25 things in my shop that needed attention.  


I scraped and sanded the shop until all of the flaws disappeared, and then did it again, and again. I've forgotten how much harder it is to work with softer woods!


But in the end - gorgeous!


Speaking of tables - this pub height table came to the shop, needing some TLC. It was too tall for the owner to get into his house! 


We ended up cutting the legs off, and then reattaching them with beefy bracing. 


A little unconventional, but at least they could get it into the house and raise it back up again. 



Finally (whew! - I told you we were busy!) - a few CNC jobs were knocked out, 


and ..... here's the big news.... 

the Glowforge finally arrived. 

What's that, you ask? 



It's only one of the most popular laser engravers on the planet, and I've been waiting since July, 2016 for it. 

Damn, we have some big plans for this, and I can't wait to spend some time with it. 


That will have to wait for now, I have too many projects in the pipeline to even open the box! Stay tuned... this is going to be big!









No comments: