Thursday, February 08, 2018

Pounding away at it....


One of the best benefits of having a studio in a warehouse complex where other artists are located is our collaborations - working on projects where we rely on each others talents. 

When you have Mario, a sign maker/graphics master, next door, It's easy to create a pedestal like the one I built last summer.  


This is the second time I've made one of these displays for the Interbike convention, so I already had their artwork in my computer. It was simple to email the graphics file to my neighbor, and after I built and painted the box - he applied the vinyl lettering. 

A simple and valuable collaboration. I love that!

The other day, I wandered over to another neighbor's studio, when I needed some metal parts fabricated for a new commission.  

He had a forge set up, where he was heating metal and pounding it into submission. Here's his simple setup... yes, that's his cool truck in the background. He's been working on that for a while, and it's going to be outstanding when it's done.


I'd never seen a portable forge like this, and it was pretty mesmerizing to watch him take a piece of heated metal and rough out the curve, then bend it around this form. 



His shop is filled with pieces and parts, awaiting fabrication into larger works of art, 



like this door.  


Hugo's an artist and a true craftsman, (and the sign maker's brother!) and can make just about anything - from gates and doors, to sculptures and architectural statements. 

One of the best kept secrets in North Las Vegas! (Well, maybe not anymore!)




1 comment:

John said...

I think Hugo does amazing work. I have been in his Shop a couple times now, and he is always working on something cool.