Friday, February 08, 2013

Turning a carving mallet



We've caught the turning bug at the shop - everyone wants to turn something on the lathe. 



Can you blame them? It's 100% fun. 

Someone stopped by the shop last weekend and asked if I would cut some logs - and in the course of things, I scored this piece of Hickory. 


We've started collecting logs - you just never know when you're going to need to make a rolling pin or a mallet. Or a club. Or a bowl. Or... 


This old Lee Valley mallet is nice, but small. Still, it's the tool we all grab when something need a little whack.


Here I'm comparing the two pieces, so that I can make the new mallet a little larger.






One of the reasons people really like the lathe is the instant gratification part - you can mount, shape, sand and finish a piece in one session. 


What's not to like?


This mallet received a coat of shellac, then some oil and wax, 


making it as soft as...
well, you know what. 




In fact, I liked it so much, I made a second one, out of Ash. 




If you've never seen a lathe up close, you should stop by the school and check out the turners there. I'm guessing - you'll catch the bug, too!






1 comment:

Vegas Lupe said...

What a great blog post. You are getting really good at editing you videos, Jamie! Also, I am getting a higher appreciation for the beauty, rhythm and rhyme of all the nigga', gangsta', street rap music that you love so much. (My apologies to the politically correct crowd for the use of the n word. I am "minority" so I am entitled. :D )

Heck, I think I am bringing the lathe tools we have here to your shop to sharpen them next week!