Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Final thoughts on the AWFS show

The AWFS Show has come and gone, and it was an incredibly hectic week. I attended a handmade chairbuilding seminar with one of the best builders out there - Jeff Miller.


Jeff was intense about his work - I like that passion in a woodworker. He complimented his discussion with some slides and an array of tools and techniques.


The cool part about attending a class like this is that they set up a woodshop in the classroom, and actually build things in front of you. There is nothing like seeing angled tenons cut right in front of you, to understand the process.


I sure wish I could justify purchasing one of these tenon cutters, but they're pricey and - frankly, I would probably use it twice a year. Still.... a girl can dream...


The Fresh Wood competition was fierce, as it always is. This is a furniture competition featuring work from high school and college students. Amazing work! Here are some of my favorite examples.


A guitar built by a high school kid! I don't know many adult woodworkers who could pull that off!




Someone must have been studying Wendell Castle's work. This laminated and carved table gave me flashbacks of the 70's.



There were quite a few excellent examples of seating.

And more musical instruments. Nice.

Ping pong and game tables seemed to be popular, too.




But finally, my two favorite pieces - both by students of The College of the Redwoods. This simple but gorgeous bench in Walnut was amazing. It's funny how I can spot work by students who study at this school - their style is similar, yet each one puts their own thumbprint on their work.


Here is my favorite piece of the show - Bonner Armbruster's cabinet entitled "Miss Peaches" was just gorgeous, with it's understated lines and handmade hardware. I would have loved a chance to open the doors and peek inside.


I just looked online to see who won Best of Show, and well... I've got to tell you - I wrote this blog before I knew who won. Wow - do I know how to call it! Congrats to Candice and Bonner for their winning entries. (How did I do that?!)

Finally, some last thoughts about the show. There seemed to be more enthusiasm in the air, but still - many of the major tool manufacturers didn't attend.

In a perfect world, I would own this jointer.


The guys at the Jet booth were tools. I was with someone who would have bought this lathe, had they bothered to come over and speak with us. Apparently it was more important to sit and BS with each other, than actually go over and speak to someone who was looking at their tools.


This laser engraved software program made some amazing carved panels,




and did some amazing things to plywood panels.




A little swag to bring home. I mean, who doesn't need a miniature caster keychain?



Some nice stainless steel waterbottles from the Wurth/Louis & Company booth.


The KerfKore booth


had one of the coolest set-ups, with it's never ending automated flexible door opening and closing.



After a long day of walking through miles of aisles, I was ready for a cold one when I got home. Luckily, Rockler took care of keeping my beer cold


with a very cool wood grained can cooler.

No comments: