Thursday, November 11, 2010

One of those yin/yang mornings

Just when I think life can't throw me any more lemons, I find myself juggling a few different things on my plate this morning.

An uncle of mine passed away two days ago; we were quite close. So I hopped on a flight back to Ohio for his funeral, which will start in about an hour. It's a very sad day for all of us. Seeing family is great, but not necessarily under these circumstances.


A little bit of family background - all four of my grandparents were off-the-boat Italians, coming through Ellis Island to become citizens here. My mom's family story is an amazing one - 14 children, two parents, in a three bedroom home. I have more cousins than I can count on all my fingers and toes, and I'm particularly proud of the diversity in our tribe.

Two of my mom's sisters married Jewish men and converted, so I've spent a lifetime celebrating both Christmas and Hanukkah, Easter and Passover, and much more. My uncle was Jewish, so later today we be washing our hands before we enter his daughter's home, and later, we'll be sitting shiva, with mirrors covered in the house. Life is interesting.

Here is my rhetorical question for the day - why does it always seem like when things are going great, there is always some big ball of badness right around the bend?

Today, UNLV announced that the Spring 2011 UNLV Continuing Education courses have been posted online. I'm very excited about that, but it's tempered by the sadness we're all feeling today.

To Uncle Art: I hope you're enjoying your new journey. Until we meet again, keep your head down and your arm straight. (That's a golf thing, for you non-golfers.)

Peace

1 comment:

amapolablau said...

Dear Jamie,
I am very sorry about your loss.

Since you used to post on Clayart about Waterfall Green and I wanted to try it, I have been following your blog. I don't even like wood very much (sorry) but your writing is always so refreshing to read that you became one of my favourites. So I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for letting me know a bit about your life.

As to your rhetorical question, here we say that the badness arriving when things are going great is that we will not feel to abundantly well which would not be good.

Wishing you all the best
heidy