Monday, October 23, 2023

A quick repair on my Northstar Slab Roller

 How can it be that a month has passed since I posted anything here? 





It's not like I've been sitting on the couch, watching football... ok, maybe on Sundays... but I've been pretty busy! 

In addition to a couple of current commissions, I've been making a ton of tile lately. Here are some of my favorite (older) tile that I am re-creating. 




Hopefully - I'll come up with some nice pieces to put in a table I'm building. 


I love using texture mats to stamp designs into the wet clay! 


It makes the glaze behave so much better. 


And these autumn leaves remind me of how much I love this time of the year. 

But the other morning, I was working on some slabs, when my slab roller started acting jiggy. As the rollers would turn, I noticed something odd happening.


Years ago, my friend Dave put a motor on my slab roller, which saves me from hand-cranking a giant wheel to make slabs. 


 This motor revolutionized my tile making - it is reversible and saves me SO much energy and time. 


So when the roller started behaving weirdly, it was time to figure out the issue. I pulled off the cover that protects the gears, 


and sure enough! I found a broken tooth! 

 No, not like this! 


Like this! 


That top right one has a broken tooth. I have no idea why I had a spare gear in my shop,   


but the slab gods must have been looking down on me!  


Within ten minutes or so, the broken gear was slipped off, and replaced with the new one.


 I'm so curious if a new one can be 3D printed or not - I guess I'll hit up my buddy Rick to see what he thinks. He's my go-to guy with 3D printing questions.  


But for now, I'm back in business - rolling out slabs and making more tile.  



No comments: