Thursday, October 28, 2021

Happy Fall!



My favorite thing in the Fall is tree-watching... in fact, I think this is the best time of the year. 

What's not to love? 

There's football on Sundays, cooler weather, and Thanksgiving is right around the corner. The best holiday, IMO. I spent the morning out at an orchard near my house - it's an extension of the University of Nevada, and a hidden gem in the northern part of town. 

There are so many varieties of trees, it's insane.  It's open to the public on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, and they sell amazing produce. 

Well worth the drive! 
They have rows of grapes, perfect for winemaking. 
But the colors was what I wanted to see - glorious oranges and reds - both in the fruit, and the leaves. 
Everything is labeled, and you get an agricultural lesson just walking around. These Tamopan persimmons were practically falling off the limbs. 
Just peek under any tree and you can read about it. 


These Fuyu persimmons were so sweet, 
you almost felt guilty eating them. They're like candy! 
And the pomegranates - well, they might be the biggest ones I've ever seen. Almost the size of small cantaloups. 
Seriously, they were almost a hazard, and could drop on your head at any minute. 
I love how this one tree was labeled. 
But the leaves were my favorite... such amazing color that we almost never see here in the desert.



Finally - I was driving back to work and heard this amazing story on NPR. 
It's definitely worth a listen if you're fascinated by trees.  Enjoy!

No comments: