Sunday, February 23, 2020

Has Watco changed its formula?


Do you remember last October, when I started working on this small live-edge table?  


A client brought a slab to me, requesting a small side table, so I started flattening it with a scrub plane. It was a lot of work!  


But eventually, the high spots were taken off, 




 and it was flat enough to run through the planer. 


Some weird punky spots popped up... I've never really seen something like that. 


The wood was dense and solid, yet when I started sanding it, small chunks would chip or flake off. 



I'd been given a sample of super glue that seemed like it might do the trick, so I "mended" these punky spots, covering them in CA glue and hoping for the best. It did the trick, sealing and hardening the wood enough that I could sand and finish it. 


All that was left was sanding. 


And more sanding.  And oiling. 


Of course,I always use Watco Danish Oil, wet-sanding it into the wood. This results in a very soft surface, so nice to touch, and one that clients always gush about.

But here's something interesting... I had to open a new can of oil, and I noticed that the artwork and packaging on the can was different. The new can is on the left, the old can on the right. 


This is the new can, with its " EASY wipe on" banner on the front. Over the years, Watco has changed hands several times, being owned by Minwax, Flecto, and Krylon. And probably more.  

This time, I've sensed that the original recipe has been altered. This can seemed really different - thicker in viscosity, and "stickier" in feel. 


The old version had much more flow to it, although both versions resulted in a similar result. I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has noticed the change in recipe. Either way, this table surface was gorgeous.









3 comments:

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

What a beautiful table, Jamie!

Steve said...

I too noticed a difference prior work turned out with a satin finish which I liked. The new can gave a very shiny finish which I don’t care for

Anonymous said...

Watco did change the formula decades ago. Was due to spontaneous combustion.
Always treat items used in applying carefully! The old formula Watco caused many fires from improper disposal of old rags used in wiping of the excess oil. I have gallons of Watco from the 1980's that I still use. Seems to last forever.