Friday, December 20, 2019

If the holidays are here, it's time for Cowboy Christmas


If it's December, then I'm making my yearly pilgrimage to the Cowboy Christmas show at the Convention Center.



 It's tied in with the NFR rodeo competition, and for nearly two weeks, the streets are filled with cowboys and cowgirls. What a treat!



Walking into the craft show / selling mania is a little overwhelming - there are booths as far as you can see. And cowboys everywhere! 

Not to mention the saddles. 


And rodeo stars sighing autographs.


 And more saddles! 


But every year, I come to see some of my favorite vendors. 

Always on the top of my list is Treestump Woodcrafts.  I've been chatting with the owner for the last ten years, and she says that this year has been a good one for her woodworking sales. She sold this gorgeous live edge table - wow -for the sale, and for the table! 


Her work is spectacular (I own several pieces!) and she's been around long enough to gauge the current state of craft sales. 


It's strong, according to her. 


At the show, there are so many booths dedicated to cowboy attire, and the Boot Barn has one of the biggest displays around. They even erected a mini-theater! 


Need a cowboy hat? 

They'll steam it and fit it to your head, and the lines for this service stretched around the aisles! 


The second booth that I look for is Zeller's Trunks, and I'm telling you - all the photos I took don't do it justice. 


So I pulled these off their website. 


I swear to you... someday, I will own one of these. 


They are the ultimate piece of furniture... from the craftsmanship to the fabric choices... 


everything is well thought out.


 I want one.  




I love the cigar indians, 


and the fun cowboy clothing. 



The sculptures are pretty awesome, too.


 And the entertainment.



 The mini-cowboys and girls practicing their roping skilz...



 I needed to pick up a gift for a friend, and I found a beautiful bottle topper at this booth. Well, beautifully made, but my friend collects Hello Kitty gear, so I was a little embarrassed that I picked out their lone Kitty topper. 



Don't tell....



I had a nice chat with one of the fellows at the TX Bar Boutique, and he pointed out that they make a variety of products for promoting your business... what a great corporate gift!

They had toppers for EVERY occasion. If you can't find a topper here, then you don't know what you want!  Check out their site here.


This booth featured woodturning on a whole different level. 


The maker encourages people to touch the pieces, which most artists don't do! 





Pictures don't do it any justice, but these vessels are AMAZING!



One of the lampshades in my home is old, cracked and needs replacing, and wow - I was lucky to stumble upon this booth!  The Juniper Lamp Company makes lamps and shades in a huge variety of styles. 



Better yet, they're located nearby, and can make a custom shade for my lamp. 



I love these rice paper shades, 



and they offer a variety of stitching styles and colors, so I can order the perfect shade for my lamp.




 Darren's lamps are top notch, the finish on them is amazing, and I'm in awe of his design skills for pulling a lamp out of a gnarled piece of juniper. 

Finally - I splurged a bit and bought some wool table runners for my dining room table. Escalante Rugs has been a favorite vendor of mine for years, and the table runner I bought from them a long time ago needed an upgrade.  

Their pieces are 100% hand woven, made by the Zapotec Indians of Oaxaca, Mexico.


They have everything from pillows to rugs, 


but I love their smaller pieces!


In fact, I couldn't decide what I wanted, 


so I bought two! 


I love it that each piece contains a maker's mark - the artist's autograph signing their work. These pieces are high quality and wonderfully colored - if you're looking for an accent for your home, you won't go wrong with one of these. 


Seriously - their color palette is just gorgeous! 



Finally, these metal sculptures just make my day... in fact, I first saw them in my neighborhood, installed in a farm's front yard. This picture of their booth doesn't do them justice, 


so I pulled a few off of their website. You can thank me later.




They're metal, illuminated from within, and glow in the evening. 


All in all, a very special show this year. My thoughts?

If money were no object, I could easily drop about $50,000 on pieces at the show - from my favorite Zeller Trunk to some of the saguaro cactus sculpture from Desert Steel. These artists are so incredibly talented, and I'm in awe of the consistently high quality pieces they make, year after year.  

It's something every artist should strive for, but not all achieve.









2 comments:

John said...

Jamie, Thank you for this in depth post. I love Cowboy Christmas. And had to skip it this year. I too buy something every time I go. Last year I almost bought one of those lamps. I thanks for the link to the site. You know I have that lamp that could use one of there shades.

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

I could spend hours in there! LOVE the trunks!