Sunday, March 18, 2018

A quick follow -up on the old RCA console TV cabinet

This was a fun little project to work on, and I was sorry to see it leave me shop yesterday.   It's always interesting to have a glimpse into how pieces were manufactured years ago. 

The sides of this cabinet were only 1/4" thick, and were basically just a skin around  a wooden carcase.  It was not very durable, but the care with which they applied the veneer was remarkable. 



 


Adding these shelves for electronic components was a vast improvement to its functionality. 



I applaud the owner of this piece, who wanted to resurrect its place in his home.  I'm fortunate enough to have the opportunity to build another piece that goes with this...  stay tuned!




2 comments:

Vegas Lupe said...

Nice job, Jamie!

I am always intrigued about finishes. Please tell us more about the finish. What brand of stain and lacquer did you use? Or did you use shellac for the finish?

Finally, what hardware did you use to hold the shelves in place?

Vegas Lupe said...

Thank you for accepting my comment. However, you did not answer the questions. :-(

I am keen on learning about finishes. Two months ago, I had to restore a bunch of boxes, and I must have tried every product I could find. Lol!