Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Things are finally starting to settle down over here...


As you might imagine, after the episode of Handcrafted America, where my work (along with two other artists) was featured - life got a little hectic. Thankfully, I'd prepared for that onslaught, so I had cut back of my schedule a bit, in order to pay full attention to everything else. It paid off - I'm busy and back to making tile and working on filing cabinet benches again. 

It's been a LONG time since I worked with clay, and getting the kilns running again is exciting! By the end of the day?... well, let's just say that I mostly sleep like a baby. 

Reading used to be my guilty pleasure - you'd always find a book in my backpack, or a few on the nightstand. I've even been known to pack more books than clothes on some vacations. 

But these days, my leisure-reading time is has been drastically cut. And I'm often so tired when I hit the sheets, that reading just isn't a reality. But I just read this gem for the third time - and even bought a copy for a friend. 


Boss Life: Surviving My Own Small Business by Paul Downs



I met Paul Downs at his recent appearance at the AWFS show - he gave a frank and generous discussion of what it's really like to run a business. This really was a once in a lifetime discussion; usually business owners keep their info or managerial tips close to the vest, but Paul was open and frank about his company.  It's gotten me thinking about the shop, and scaling it to what I want it to be. It's a lot to ponder, trust me. 

Meanwhile - I'm back to making tile. 

Ahhhhh..... I've forgotten how great it is. 

Here are some gems of the past... hopefully what I'm working on now will be half this beautiful. 

I'll keep you posted..
































No comments: