Saturday, August 09, 2014

Back in bid'ness...

It's crazy how a one-dollar part can put you out of business! 

When you see a sign like this on one of my tools, you know I'm stressing about it! I hate it when things break in the shop, but let's face it - when you have 40 or 50 people playing with your tools - that is bound to happen.  





I was telling my mom about the planer breaking the other night - and how I opened up the side of it and saw it just needed a master link.  (It was pretty easy to figure out, when I saw this.) 


She said she was amazed at how I could figure out what it needed and fix it. But - half the battle of running a shop is knowing how to fix the stuff that breaks. Something will always be broken in the shop, or need some maintenance. 

Let's just say - I know my way around a grease gun. 


It took longer to track down the parts than it did to repair this tool. I had to go to three different hardware stores to find this part.


 Out with the old; in with the new.


As my buddy Philip says - Bing Bang Boom - you're done! 


And back in business! 

Not every repair goes this easily! But my best advice would be - Learn how to fix your tools by yourself. I'm sure the service company would've charged a few hundred dollars to come out to fix the simple issue.


No comments: