Saturday, May 31, 2014

Another Stellar Design


When Beth told me she was building a bench for her hubby, I didn't expect a gem like this! (I should have known better - she has NEVER disappointed me with the things she builds!) 


What's even more incredible - she's been saving her scrap, in order to create the gorgeous slats on the top of the bench. 


This piece reminds me of those Scandinavian designs, with slatted tops - and I just love her use of color and wood grain. 


 She used a combination of solid wood slats and laminated ones, and the effect is stunning. 


The base is mortise and tenoned together - stable, durable, and will probably outlive all of us! There aren't too many pieces that I would put in my home - I'm too picky about what I want to live with!  But this is one of the loveliest pieces I've seen in ages - and I couldn't be more proud of the woodworker that Beth is becoming. 


She's probably taking orders, should you want want of her designs - let me know and I'll put you in touch with her!


1 comment:

Vegas Lupe said...

WOW!!! Beth definitely has the "IT" factor in woodworking. I love everything she makes - her dining table, the adirondack chairs, the tiled bench, and so much more. Her taste and her eye for design is exceptional. What is remarkable is that she has been a student of yours for a little under 2 years! What an inspiration.

When I grow up, I want to be like Beth. ;)

Jamie, you must be proud of the work that comes out of your workshop.