In my last post, I mentioned in the beginning that if you weren't a tool geek, you would probably find the info about the tablesaw fence repair rather boring. My mom told me later that in the middle of reading the post, she thought to herself - why am I reading this? (Thanks, mom!)
I'll try to make this a little more colorful...
One of my favorite (time-wasting!) websites is There, I fixed it! It's full of redneck repairs, and sure to keep me hypnotized at my computer for two hours. Here's a perfect example - doesn't everyone need a gas powered flashlight?
So - on to my repair...
Once upon a time, my Lee Valley Journeyman's brass mallet looked like this.
I don't even remember how long I've owned it, but it's been a long time. The handle has been replaced a few times; the last one was made by a Mike, a student of mine, about two years ago.
Imagine your woodshop, but with 30 or 40 people using your tools, day in and day out. You have to accept that the tools will break from time to time. It's just the way things go.
Hell, I break tools all the time, no sense in getting all worked up about it!
So when my mallet head separated from the handle, I knew I had to perform a little magic to it. We use that mallet all the time, so it's couldn't stay broken.
I made a couple of dowels, using my tenon cutter. The grain had to run the length of the dowel, for strength, unlike the plugs we make for cutting boards, in which the grain runs in the other direction.
Hard to see here, but I drilled out the center of the broken handle.
The next morning, it needed just a bit of cleaning up.
Another boring repair post, mom!