Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Serendipity

It has been said that serendipity accounts for one percent of the blessings we receive in life, work and love. The other 99 percent is due to our efforts.



I've had the good fortune of meeting some very generous people along the path of running my woodworking school.

A few weeks ago, Steve from Vegas Valley Business Forms noticed that the signs in the shop were looking ragged. It's true, they're right in line with the swamp cooler fan, and the breeze has shredded the corners.






Steve graciously offered to print up some new signs for me, ones that would be more durable and colorful. Who knows, someone might actually read them!

So imagine my surprise when he walked into class last week with these two new signs - printed on metal and ready for hanging. He even printed them in my favorite colors, and included my handprints - how sweet is that?


Saturday is a good day for tackling tasks around the shop, so Nikki and Eric - the two shop interns - took upon the task. First stop was to design a wooden bracket to hold each sign. Here's the small prototype they came up with - perfect!


While Eric took down the old signs,


Nikki made the four brackets we needed.


Don't mess with Eric while he's working!

(You both did a great job, BTW! Thanks!)


Speaking of serendipity, those two paper signs we took down were also a gift - from three years ago, when another student - Rob - printed them for me. Rob moved away, but I know he reads this blog regularly, so I want to thank him again for those - they served me well!



And yes - I also want to thank Steve for the very nice gift - it was unexpected, but very much appreciated. He's an all-around good guy and generous business owner - I'm always thrilled when I see his name on one of my class enrollment lists.

Serendipity, indeed!




2 comments:

Vegas Lupe said...

I appreciate your thoughts on serendipity. I am a huge believer that in the overall scheme of things “nothing happens by chance.” Your school does attract special people from all walks of life, and there is a good vibe in the place. I have attended four classes where Steve has participated. He is a special man indeed. You deserve your good fortune, which does not happen by sheer luck. You attract good things into your life.

By the way, thanks for the last kitchen cabinet making class. We all had a blast!

Rob said...

the irony of this posting is that just last week i found the file i used to make these, and was going to email asking you if you wanted it for someone else to make new posters.

I guess this answers the question!

glad they were of use, and nice to see a much more durable alternative for years to come! (admittedly, i'm surprised the print outs lasted 3 years!!)