Thursday, March 25, 2010

Look what came in the mail today...

Is there anything worse than constantly fumbling for your glasses while working in the woodshop? Let's face it - being able to see what you're doing is not only important for safety reasons, but also for quality assurance.

Once, before I had my eye surgery, I sanded an entire dining table top without my glasses on. It was a warm summer evening, and too hot for me to be bothered wearing them - they were constantly sliding down my nose with all the sweat.

Well, imagine my horror when I finally put them on and looked at the table top. I had to start the sanding process all over again, since I'd missed so many blemishes on the wood.


This box came in the mail today.


I was really excited, because my eyes have been slowly failing me, and once again, it's time to admit that I might need some vision correction. Oh, I'm lucky enough that most days, I can see just fine. But in the woodshop, I want to see everything.

Duluth Trading Company sends out a sweet catalog, and I've been a big fan of their merchandise for a long time. So when I spotted their safety glasses with vision correction, I just had to order a pair to try.



They're very similar to the safety glasses I'm currently using, but the bifocal area lets me see close up, which is sweet. The even come in a micro-fiber bag that serves both as a storage bag and as a cleaning cloth. Well done, folks.



The only slight thing I would change is that the ear pieces on these glasses are a gray color, and I prefer my glasses to be completely clear. Still, that's a small price to pay for the benefits I get from these.

Great glasses for a great price (about $20) - how can you put a price tag on your eyes? I highly recommend these. One thing though - you'll never be able to blame any poor sanding on your projects on the fact that you can't see.

No comments: