Thursday, April 09, 2009

Mosaics, or one woman's junk is another woman's treasure...

Long time readers of this blog know that I work in fits and starts - I'll build a piece of furniture, and then go off on a tile bender for a week or a month. I still can't decide which is more fulfilling, but I know that I'm addicted to glaze experimentation.

A true sign of addiction is when you can't think of anything else. When you climb into bed at night and all you think about is what you did during the day, or what you're planning on doing tomorrow.. well... such is the life of a glaze junkie.

About a year ago, my studio had so many test tiles and odds and ends laying around, I could barely walk through it. Sure, I hang my test tiles on pegboard, but this clutter was getting out of control.

A "lightbulb over the head" moment came when I noticed that mosaic supplies were a popular seller on Etsy. So I started boxing up some of my shards, tests, and studio clutter into Flat Rate boxes and selling them.


Yikes, not only are these "grab bags" popular, but I'm starting to hear from the talented people who have purchased them.


And I thought I'd show a couple of photos of one woman's work.



This first mosaic is lovely, I recognize that medallion in the center!


Although Judy from Texas modestly thinks she's not quite "there" with her work, I beg to disagree.


Every time I see a great mosaic, I get inspired to start making my own. I even purchased a couple of books recently, to refresh my memory on making one. It's been years since I made one, probably in an art class in high school.

Thanks for the inspiration, Judy!


No comments: