Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Lee Valley does it again!

Leave it up to Lee Valley to come up with this set of forstner drill bits, perfectly sized for inlaying a coin into a piece of wood.


I date a lot of the pieces I build by inlaying a coin that's been minted the same year as the piece was built. It's easier than carving the date into the bottom of the piece, and adds a little surprise when the owner discovers it. But standard sized drill bits are just a hair too big or too small to fit a penny, nickle or dime.

These bits are da' bomb!

I love inlaying a newly minted penny in a piece of walnut, the contrast and combination of colors is fabulous.

Speaking of unique and useful products, someone suggested that when I photograph the sushi dinnerware sets that I make, that I use some sushi food props on the plates. Not a bad idea... so I did a search and found some pretty amazing photography props.

Like this fake Tuna roll.


And this fake wasabi.


and faux pickled ginger.

And this California Roll, which is my least favorite, but still gets the point across.


I was all set to purchase one of these, but here's the rub. One of these sets is about ten bucks, and the seller wanted $12.50 to ship it.

No thanks.... I'd be better off making real sushi and putting that on the plates.

Now I'm going to do some research on making my own food props. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

FishStikks said...

I adore the idea of putting a newly minted coin in your furniture for the owner to 'catch'.

Do you tell them or let them find it on their own?

I love Forstner bits and even though I, at the moment, have no use for these I lust after them mightily.

The faux food looks pretty good. Can't believe it would cost that much to ship them.

Hmmm, may have to give this a try with paper mache.