Sunday, September 30, 2007

Guacamole, anyone?


It's been a while since I posted any new glaze test results here.

If anyone's been following this blog, they know that I've been trying to come up with a green version of a glaze made popular in the book "Mastering Cone 6 Glazes. Every time I fire the kiln, I manage to place a few test pieces somewhere inside, hoping to find the color that I can see in my head, but I just can't seem to formulate. I've gotten tips and recipes from potters all over the world. I'm inspired by not only their encouragement, but by hearing about their work and dedication to ceramics.

These two test tiles came from a recent firing. The glaze has some lovely crystals and color, and perhaps I'm too critical, but the color isn't EXACTLY what I wanted. I've been wanting a deeper green, and these are more avocado. Every time I look at these, I want to reach for some tortilla chips.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

These are sublime!

Unknown said...

These are sublime! You wouldn't share the oxides you used for colorants on these, would you?

Wood It Is! said...

James,

If you have the "Mastering Cone 6 Glazes" book - this Guacamole glaze is their basic Waterfall Brown glaze totaling up to 100. (Only four components.) Do not add their colorants or oxides.

The colorants for this Guacamole glaze are:
Crocus Martis 5.0
Rutile 1.0

This recipe should total up to a 106 gram batch.

Hope this helps!