Friday, February 23, 2007





These glazes are all based on the formula for WaterFall Brown, in the book Mastering Cone 6 Glazes by John Hesselberth and Ron Roy. It's an incredible book, worth every penny spent on it.

In fairness to the men who came up with this original glaze, I won't include the base formula. It's hard enough to sell books as it is, so posting their recipe isn't fair. But in their book, they challenged everyone to play with their recipe. I am posting the modifications I tested.

All of these tests were applied to a medium color clay (Long Beach) and like the authors suggest, it runs like crazy. In my next tests, I will experiment with flux levels, to try and
lower the amount of flow on vertical pieces.
All numbers below are based on percentages.







#1 - RIO 5
Rutile 1

#2 - RIO 0
Rutile 1
3195 +3% (29% total)

#3 - RIO 10
Rutile 3

#4 - RIO 10
Rutile 2

No comments: