Friday, September 10, 2010

Behind the scenes at a Vegas show

There are always cool things to do when you live in a town like Las Vegas. I'd forgotten all about my behind-the-scenes tour of La Reve, but I just came across these photos I'd taken.

Le Reve is a Cirque du Soleil show currently playing at the Wynn Resort.

Like the other Cirque du Soleil shows, it's filled with dancing, gymnastics, synchronized swimming and much more. The show is performed in an intimate theater-in-the-round that words can barely describe. I've seen the show twice, and was blown away both times.

But the real treat was when a buddy of mine (who is a crew member) invited me to take a tour backstage. Just walking into the empty theater was amazing.

I stitched this panoramic shot together using my Mac's photo software. It looks small, but click on it and you should see the full shot.



Here's a production booth hidden among the seats.


It's hard to judge the scale of everything, but this will give you an idea of the size of the stage.



This production takes place on many different levels - like in the "basement" below, where much of the work takes place. If you look carefully, you will see some of the platforms that raise and lower, so that it makes the dancers look as if they're walking on water.


And up in the rafters, (I think) three stories high.


Here is one of the floating sets "parked" backstage.


If you ever get a chance to get a behind the scenes tour of one of these shows, I highly recommend it.

I had a chance to see the show after this tour, and it really made me appreciate all the technical support that the crew provides. They should be the ones coming out for a bow after the show!


No comments: