Wednesday, April 01, 2009

The hidden costs of owning a cabinet shop

This is what $250 worth of sharpening looks like.


The real pisser is that as soon as I sent out a ton of router bits and blades to be sharpened, then I went to an auction where I bought a cabinet full of brand new router bits. Gobs of them. I bought the cabinet at the auction because I liked it's size and how much it could hold. Getting all the extra bits and blades was just icing on the cake, so to speak.

A local cabinet shop went out of business, and all of their machinery, equipment, shop fixtures and supplies were up for grabs. That's where everything came from.




Let's face it, there are only so many bits a one-person cabinet shop can use! I could use a bit once and throw it away, and I'd still have enough for years of routing!

And in case you wondered why I use 1/4" shank bits, those are for my small routers. I'm fond of lightweight, light duty routers; they're much easier to control and they don't tire out my arms. If I'm doing any serious routing, like template routing or dado cutting, then I'll pill out the bog guns - the 1/2" shank bits.

If anyone out there is looking for any router bits (sharp and cheap!) - let me know!


No comments: