Thursday, October 05, 2017

Out of the woodshop and up to a podium - when will this madness stop?


As you can imagine - it's been a rough week here in Las Vegas. 


When you drive around the city, there is grief everywhere.

(Click Here and then come back to read this post)

Almost five years ago, on December 14, 2012, wrote a blogpost on a horrific day, - as the shootings at Sandy Hook took place. As everyone walked around the CowBoy Christmas show, people cried and huddled over their phones, reading about the unfolding scene. The thought of losing this many kids at once is devastating... please don't forget about these kids.

Then a few years later - the Pulse nightclub shooting shook us all. 


The country united in horror and anger - how could this happen?




 The unfathomable idea that someone could mow down people who were simply dancing and enjoying life shook us all. 

Well you know what - it HAS happened again, and why are we so surprised? 

Like I said - when you drive around the city, there is grief ...everywhere.


 There isn't a single place you go without being reminded of the terrible tragedy that unfolded on Sunday night. Makeshift memorials, signs on store fronts, flags at half-staff, people on corners with collection jars, people crying in stores, or restaurants ... it's everywhere. 

While we once were labeled as the "what happens here, stays here" city, we're now sadly remembered as the place where the worst mass killing in modern history has taken place.  I don't know why everyone keeps adding the "in modern history" tag to it - I think it's the worst attack in history. 

Ever. 

Period.

 What a horrible legacy to own, but what's worse - someday, somewhere - another city will probably take that title away from us, having their own tragedy unfold. 

The woodshop phone rang off the hook yesterday, with countless queries about rush orders - could I cut, sand and finish 58 "State of Nevada" shapes in wood, and laser them with names? Could I build a temporary alter for an outdoor service? An urn? 

There are plenty of people cashing in on this notoriety, but I won't be one of them. I do, however support some great companies that are helping the city grieve.  


and the Lazer Ladies

Or this GoFundMe page

Want to give the gift of life? Try United Blood Services, but know that they will take donations by appointment only.

After you send in your donations, and shed a tear for the victims, and attend a memorial, or light a candle, or whatever you do to remember these innocent people... think about this... when is it time to start talking about gun control?

Here are a few excellent arguments for starting the process, and I am under no illusion that it's going to be easy.

If we legislated guns the same way we do abortions:



Wait, you don't want to control the gun? How about this:




Or how about regulating guns as strictly as they do cars:






Here is the bottom line - we need something done about guns. 

We need to start somewhere. 

And just for the record - I am a gun owner. I own several, and I sleep better at night knowing they are there. But I don't own clips that hold huge numbers of bullets. I don't own semi-automatic weapons, though I know a lot of people who do. I don't own bump-stocks, nor did I even know WTF that was before this week. So don't bitch at me about gun ownership. I am talking about regulating people who shouldn't own them, or have access to them. 

I am not smart enough to know the exact solutions, but I do know this - if I sat down right now and made a list of people that I know who are ardent gun owners and have even the slightest potential for going off the deep end, I could probably come up with a decent list of names.  More than a handful, that's for sure. 

Could you?

Don't you find that chilling?

Please consider writing to your elected officials and urge them to do something. Here's a link about how to do just that...

Finally - I am attending a memorial tonight, and again tomorrow night - but know this - if anyone sends me idiotic comments about this post, I won't humor you by posting them. 

Quite simply - I'm sick of people's bullshit about their guns... go find a blanket and a pacifier. 



11 comments:

Unknown said...

Proud to know you and well said!

Unknown said...

I agree totally with your blog!!

GourdDrawing said...

Well written and some great points made. Sharing.

Unknown said...

I agree 100% with your blog! Well said Jamie!

Martie van der Voort said...

AMEN. Thanks, Jamie.

Mary Grimm said...

Well said Jamie!

Free Rein Art Studio said...

Thank you for sharing this. I believe we are smart enough as a country to find ways to keep us safer provided we value people over guns. Not everyone can be trusted with deadly weapons. I have had enough discussions about gun control to know it does not take long into a conversation to see the 2nd Amendment die hards arguments crumble and their propensity to fly off the handle in an angry rant to re-enforce my position that not everyone should have access to deadly weapons.

HELEN FATKINS said...

I second that. Go find a large blanket anf a huge pacifier. Well said bud. Love your insight.

Kelly said...

Totally on board with everything you said, Jamie. And I'm so tired of reading headlines that tell us "...and still, nothing will change." That's only true if we give up the fight to introduce common sense into this national conversation. (Admittedly, a tough battle, but as despondent as I get about the state of our country, I'm still not prepared to throw in the towel and let go of this Great Experiment.)

People I know in other countries cannot fathom why we Americans allow this to continue. Because quite simply, it is madness. I have to believe that if so many millions around the world can see this truth, somehow, some way, we can make those with the power see it, too. (Or, just change who's got the power, I suppose.)

justina said...

Thank you for this. very insightful

Anonymous said...

All of those affected have my deepest sympathy, and I have felt the sorrow more directly on the past. Stay strong and keep doing good.

I was a member of NRA when I was young. I left when the NRA went from promoting safety and responsible regulation (remember when the NRA lobbied FOR registration and licenses?) to the current line due to an organized minority power play. I also remember the friction in the organization when the takeover occurred.

I find their response to the current horror no less shameful than their responses in the past. hey didn't even have the courage to take an actual stand. Despite what some news outlets have reported, the position is that the ATF, which does not make regulation, but enforces subject to the law, judicial oversite, and the whim of the executive, should "consider" treating bump-stocks the same way that automatic weapons are treated. This from a group that has consistently fought regulation of automatic weapons. And has consistently fought background checks and restrictions on the purchase or possession of firearms.