Wednesday, September 27, 2017

When you can't find it... make it!


A few months ago, I refurbished this tired Mid-Centurytury Modern desk with its sagging typewriter return. It needed some TLC, and some structural work - including raising the return about five inches, 


updating the privacy panels,


and rebuilding the drawers. 


One major problem was a missing handle - and with hours of searching and research, I still couldn't locate a replacement part #19305.


This missing end didn't really seem all that complex, and I always kept the thought about making one in the back of my head.


 Then I met a woman who had spent some time in the local Maker Space, and she mentioned 3D printing, and how she might be able to get one of the ends made.

Bingo! 


It took a little time to perfect the dimensions and the details of this end piece,  but I'm thrilled what she and the techies came up with! 



Now it's time for me to make the wooden insert - luckily I had one to use as a pattern.  




Slicing a piece of walnut and shaping it was easy, but cutting the angled tenons on each end was a bit of a challenge. 


I pulled out a few tools and within a few minutes, 



the tenons were perfect!


When I put everything together, I realized that only one of the new ends was threaded.


Here's the tap and die set to the rescue... 



cutting the threads always makes me a little nervous.


But everything came out perfectly. 


I added a little spray paint and distressed the new parts a bit, so they matched the set that was 60 years old. 


And just like that - I had a matching handle that blends in well with the original.  Can you tell which is the original and which one is the replacement?





I'm working on one last piece to complete this set - stay tuned for a modern transformation to a common office dilemma... how to hide a beast of a copier.



4 comments:

Vegas Lupe said...

Thank you for posting this. I have been keenly following this project.

However, in the previous post you did about this project, I asked two things which you did not answer:

1) What is the material used on the 3D Printing? Is is plastic? Do you find it quite strong and durable when combined with wood?
With this post you did answer the type of paint you used, as you mentioned that you used spray paint, which begs the question: Do you need a primer on 3D printed parts?

2) My second question was: When staining the cane material, do you stain it in the same way as wood?

The desk looks fabulous. Thank you for blogging about it.

Wood It Is! said...

Lupe – the 3-D piece was printed in a hard plastic. I think there were a few colors available, but they chose black. I also had one printed in an ivory colored plastic. I put a little bit of plastic primer on it, and then metallic spray paint. Some of the newer spray paints have primer already mixed into it, but this one didn't. I would guess primer would always be a good precaution.

I experimented with staining the cane, using mohawk stains, but ended up just putting clear Danish oil on it. That's what the customer requested. It will yellow over time, and match the cane material on the desk.. or at least thats my hope!

Vegas Lupe said...

Thank you for your reply, Jamie.

Creating 3D parts is in my bucket list. The technology could have applications for the things I do on a daily basis. I will definitely be looking into it.

Thank you also for the info on the coloring the cane. :)

Colin said...

In the future you may want to try Rub 'n Buff for an even more convincing metal finish on printed or cnc'd parts