Sunday, September 03, 2017

3D Printing - how cool!


Remember that Mid-Century Modern desk that I re-built a few months back? 



One of the handle ends was missing, and hours of research didn't help locate one.


 But a student of mine mentioned that she had started working at the local SynShop, learning all kinds of cool techniques, like welding, robotics, lasering and 3D printing.

Hmmmm.... 3D printing... that started me thinking about a replacement part for a handle. 


It took a while to coordinate things, but Rachel was finally able to get the part printed. 






And threaded for a new bolt, no less!  This is SO exciting - the desk is going to be whole again, once I get the part and paint it to match the older parts. 


Meanwhile, I'm working on another piece for this office set that will match the desk - a wrap-around cabinet that will hide a Xerox copier. 



Staining the cane to match the older cane is the most difficult part, but once that's done, it'll be smooth sailing. 


One thing's for sure, I'll be happy to wrap up this project and start on some new stuff. It's never boring in my shop. Classes start soon, and I'm looking forward to cooler temps in the shop. 

Happy Fall, everyone!

2 comments:

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

Amazing... get a handle end printed?! New technology mixed with good old fashioned carpentry skills!

Vegas Lupe said...

That project turned out to be quite beautiful and elaborate, Jamie! Thank you for sharing it. I have a few questions:

1) What material did they use to print the 3D part? Was it plastic? How strong is it, and what paint did you use to match it to the original?

2) When staining cane material, do you do it in the same way as staining wood. i.e. Mixing regular stain with a solvent, and applying it with a brush or spray gun? What was your method to attach cane material to the panel?

I have never worked with cane or 3D printing. I am currently intrigued enough with the 3D process that I might get a little printer to play with in the near future. I attended a lecture at a recent convention discussing 3D printing using "glow in the dark" material. These parts were used by a stage performer that needed to see things in the dark while performing his act.

Of course cane or weaving materials are in the "bucket list" of materials to use in a future project too. Lol!

Hope all is well.