Thursday, December 12, 2013

The 2 x 4 challenge of 2013

We're getting ready to party like it's 1999. Oh wait,…

The woodworking group here in Las Vegas, Sin City Woodworkers, is having our annual Christmas party at my shop in about a week. This is always a fun night, but this year I think it's going to be extra special. I issued a challenge to the group -giving them the 

2 x 4 challenge of 2013

It's a simple challenge - make something out of an 8 foot long 
2 x 4. 

Oh, it's okay to add other things, like hardware, dowels, paint, biscuits, dominoes - anything but more wood. (Yes, I know dowels, biscuits, and dominoes are wood, but these are also building supplies. So they're allowed.) 

 For the roughly $3 that a 2 x 4 costs, it's a cool project to showcase everyone's talent.

During the summer, when I would ride my mountain bike around the neighborhood, I came up with some terrific ideas in my head. Of course that was June, July and August - and I thought I had all the time in the world to make these projects. Now it's only a week away, and you know what's happened... I barely have anything started!

But the good news is–I had an epiphany a couple of days ago and made a really cool entry in just two days. I'm not telling you what it is - the entries are going to be voted upon, and the winner gets a Lee Valley gift certificate. 

I was fooling around on the Internet and found this video, this would be a terrific 2 x 4 project. In fact, I might still make one of these. I'd love to have one hanging in my office at the woodshop.


No comments: