Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Peak in on a couple of students' work...

You probably get sick of hearing how busy I am, but honestly– this week wraps up the busiest month I've ever had at the shop. I am not complaining, the students who worked this month produced amazing pieces. Anytime someone taps into their creativity, I feel that initial rush that all new woodworkers feel. It's why we do what we do.

So here are two ends of the spectrum - and two great examples of creativity at my shop.

Anyone who takes the basic woodworking class ends their session with making a bread knife. One of the students made this dachshund- inspired knife.


 It's kitchsey and cute, and really well crafted.


 And she couldn't be more proud, which is what it's all about, right? 



From small projects to large ones  - check out this tabletop. 



This student is making an enormous dining room table for her daughter, what a wonderful gift to give someone. 



Her top, made of African mahogany, represents hours upon hours of gluing, planing, more gluing, sanding, and finally– oiling. 

The base for this table is outstanding, I'll post pictures in a week or two, when she completes it. 



It's totally amazing, considering it is the first piece of furniture she's ever made from scratch.

Stay tuned!



1 comment:

Vegas Lupe said...

Thank you for posting a picture of Beth's table top. That top is f#%&ing GORGEOUS! Her grain management is exquisite, and it will be quite a hefty and dramatic piece. She should be proud of the results.

I am so sorry I can't be there to see it in person. I have been five days out of town, and I am already itching to go back and be productive. Thr vibe in your shop is awesome.