Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Star Trek Fans building their own personal Captain Kirk Command Chair

Back in December, I blogged about a fellow who built a replica of Captain Kirk's chair from Star Trek.


No doubt, it was a cool chair. Apparently, there are a lot of people out there who agree. Check out this hilarious article in the New York Times about these Star Trek fans "Getting their Kirk On".

These people have designed their chairs to match the original command chair, right down to the color of paint and the lay-out of the buttons.
Amazing, although I can understand why that one guy's wife threatened divorce if he brought the chair into their living room.

I love it when someone takes their passion and turns it into a woodworking project. What's your next (passionate) project?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to know where they found the buttons for this

foxtrot21 said...

Where do you find the chair part? My friends and I are building one and can't find a reasonably priced one anywhere.

Wood It Is! said...

I'm guessing that they just had something upholstered to look somewhat realistic.

Anonymous said...

TOS used a Madison Executive Office Chair(Model 2405 or 4449), and built around it, from what research I've done.

You can't find those any more, as they haven't been sold for 50 years, and the Madison company in Canton, Mississippi isn't around, IIRC.

If you can find one, expect to cough up about $2000 US.