Friday, January 09, 2009

Random winter thoughts...

Krystal (a local Etsy artist) from SolSisters Studio was kind enough to include me in her blog. Here's a link.

Fate has been good to me lately. I've gotten a little bit of press in a few different publications, which has led to some nice connections and better yet - a few sales. As much as I would like to stay in my studio, working away, a good deal of my time is spent returning e-mails that people send me about my work, designing pieces for people, coming up with prices for my work, shooting pictures... you get the idea. It's called the "business" of being an artist. And it bogs me down sometimes.

I'll let you in on a secret - I tend to be a bit of a hermit, especially in the winter. I could be very content to work in the studio, with NPR blaring overhead, and not really have much interaction with other people. Not sure why, but I've never been that much of a "people" person. Oh, don't get me wrong, I love my friends and nothing makes me happier than hanging out with them. But I think I just need my "alone time" in order to be creative and stay sane.


When I was in college, I first heard the phrase - those who can, do. Those who can't - teach. I've actually heard several different versions of this phrase, but this is the one that sticks with me.

Well, I'm here to tell you that's total bullshit.

At one point in my career, I was building 3-4 pieces of furniture a month for clients, as well as starting a woodworking program at my local college. If anything, people who teach are the best managers of all. They juggle their students, their own personal work, their lives and their families all at once. And, according to my friends who are teachers, for not much (financially) in return. I'm amazed to hear how most teachers dip into their own pocket to pay for supplies for their classrooms.

Don't get me started!


I plan on spending the whole day in the studio, glazing pots and doing a little maintenance on some tools. For a hermit like me, it'll be a great day of juggling. Hope your Saturday will be as lovely as mine.

No comments: