Thursday, October 29, 2020

Another bumper crop!

 It finally feels like Autumn here, and colder weather means the garden is going to wind down. That's fine with me - I've been so busy, I haven't had a chance to even walk into my back yard in a month! 

Back in March, the garden started out like this. 



Within a short time, everything started to fill out. Notice the scallions shooting out of the soil on the lower left side of the garden... when I cut the root end off of a scallion, I stick it in the dirt. A few weeks later.... fresh scallions! It's a never ending supply, and I sadly think about all of the roots I've thrown out over the years. 


Later in the summer, the tomato plants started to dominate everything, producing huge amounts of fruit. 


Then things got crazy! 


The yard was consumed with tomato plants taking over! 


Seriously, I froze as many tomatoes as I gave away, 


and this might have been the best crop ever.



The basil plants are the perfect combo in the garden.  


Sadly, it's getting time to pull out most of this, and wait for spring.

A friend of mine told me the other day that his neighbor treats his tomato plants as perennials, and that he has some plants that are over ten years old. I've never heard of that, but instead of pulling my plants out in a few weeks, I am going to cut them back, mulch them to protect them from the colder temps. 

It'll be interesting to see how they fare over the winter. I'll keep you posted!


No comments: