Thursday, October 01, 2020

A walk down memory lane....

2005 -  it seems like yesterday!

Back in 2005, I was interviewed by Ann Jackson about being a female studio furniture maker. To be truthful - I remember being interviewed, but not really what we spoke about. At that time, my father's death was relatively fresh in my mind, and I'd recently moved across the country to start a new life. It was a year of change and new goals. I was a kid!

So ... who's Ann Jackson? 


You may not know her, but without a doubt, almost every woodworker knows her family. Her dad was Nordy Rockler... and if you've been working with wood for more than a minute, you've heard of Rockler Woodworking. 

It's probably the most well known woodworking supplier, with stores in almost every state, and an online presence that is to be admired. 

She's a fascinating woman - building Rockler Woodworking into a global woodworking retailer.  Want to be inspired? Click here and read this article about her woodworking accomplishments. 

Back to our interview - Ann contacted me in 2005 about being part of her Masters thesis, where she interviewed nine female woodworkers about their work, their inspiration, and more. 

Fast forward 15 years - she re-interviewed us again, to see how we'd changed. Were we still making furniture? Had our values, styles or influences changed? Her study explores the progress of our careers over the course of 15 years, and ...  not just because I'm one of the subjects, but I think it's fascinating. 

And to be included in the same group of woodworkers that include Roseanne Somerson (one of my idols) and Cindy Vargas...well, be still my heart!

Here's a link to Ann's thesis - it includes the interviews of all the artists, and their unique views of work, life and more. On the left side of this webpage, you can click on the thesis to read it, or download it. 


No comments: