Friday, May 08, 2020

A true test of craftsmanship - hardware installation


One of the biggest challenges when making a piece of furniture is hardware - finding the right hardware can be difficult. On top of that, I like black or statuary bronze hardware, which is even harder to find. Most of the time, it's a special order. 

I found a few pairs of cup-hinges in "ebony" and had to install them in places that I wouldn't normally choose - based on the layout of the drawers. I'm planning on building four drawers,  and they'll be stacked fairly close together. So the hinges had to be spread out at the very top of the case, and the very bottom. 

Getting your driver into tight spots is tough; it's easy to scratch the interior of the cabinet, so I pulled out the offset driver. 


The second challenge of hardware (after locating the right stuff) is installing it. I think that's a true test of craftsmanship - and I marvel when I see someone installing knife hinges or Soss hinges perfectly, without needing adjustment. Here's my cheater's tip: drill a few cup holes in scrap wood until you get the right locations of your holes. I've learned that lesson the hard way. 

These hinges were actually pretty easy to install, although the doors fit very tightly together, and I'll need to go back and create a margin between them, so they don't hit each other. I was pretty happy how they installed with very little adjustment.



 I'll go back and fit the doors in a bit, but it's time to turn my attention to the drawers.



I'll also need to start thinking about that base. 

I'm really enjoying this break, and getting back to making (my own!) sawdust, 

No comments: