Thursday, July 11, 2019

A follow up on the Colliflower insert


We've been using the zero-clearance insert made by Colliflower designs about about 2 weeks now... 



and I've gotten a few messages from readers, asking my thoughts about it. 



Remember that right off the bat, the insert cracked when raising the blade through it...I probably should have anticipated that.  The insert itself is made of MDF (with a melamine skin) which is very fragile, so it shouldn't have surprised me that it cracked. 

  After a weekend of students using it, the split got bigger, essentially cracking the insert into two separate pieces.



 The separation makes the piece on the left side lift up a bit - see how it's sitting a bit above the surface in the photo below?  


That's not a big problem, but the crack in the front edge of the insert IS a problem  It makes for a slightly raised lip on the front edge, often catching the material when it is being cut. 


 My solution?  

When I cut a new replacement insert, I will make it out of 1/4" plywood, instead of MDF. It should be stronger, and less prone to splitting. 

All in all - I really like this addition to the saw. My only complaint would be about the replaceable MDF insert, but I honestly think once I re-make the pieces with plywood, everything will work as it should. 

Would I buy it again? 

Absolutely! In fact, I might buy two more for the other two Sawstops in the shop. 





No comments: