Saturday, October 20, 2018

This month's mitzvah

Don't ask where I've been - it's too complicated to go into... 

In addition to some traveling and teaching, I've spent some time giving (woodworking) back to this town, in a variety of small ways. 

Like this mitzvah...



 I was contacted by a fellow who explained he was a bit down on his luck, but felt he might be able to right his ship if he had a way to make a living, by shining shoes. All he needed was a shoeshine box.

If you Google "shoeshine box" - you'll get about 9,400,000 results in 0.51 seconds. I liked this design the best.




To be truthful, I get hit up all the time for donations and "volunteering" queries, but most of the time, they're not legit.  Something about this guy hit me in the gut; he was polite and honest, and just needed a woodworking favor. And for once, it was actually something simple that I could do. 

He and I collaborated on a design, and I built it in an afternoon.


 Hopefully, he's out there making a living, giving some great shines to shoes around Vegas!


Meanwhile, I have a few challenging commissions coming up. As Arnold says - I'll be back...





No comments: