Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Innovation in wood


In the past few weeks, I've gotten a few calls about making some growth sticks, better known as GIANT rulers. You know, the ones you hang on the wall, to chart your child's growth. 





Although it looks like a simple project, it's really harder than it looks, and shipping poses a huge challenge. Since most shipping charges are calculated both on weight AND size, shipping something six feet long is pretty expensive.

While doing a little research on making one, I came across a very interesting company that makes wooden games, toys, and educational products. It's Maple Landmark, of Vermont. 

This company's owner was named Vermont Small Business Person of the Year, and with innovative products (like the one below!) - it's easy to see why this company is a success. 




It may not look like this is a groundbreaking innovation, but I think his solution to this problem is terrific. (I love the way they can be customized, too.) I frequently struggle to find simple solutions to complex problems, and I'd like to buy this fellow a beer and see what makes him tick. I suspect he has some great ideas to share!


1 comment:

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

A few years ago I thought I might make some growth sticks (large rulers) to sell. Then I found out Home Depot was selling them cheap, so I dropped the idea.