Saturday, January 09, 2016

A 15-Minute Hammer Hanger

When they say diamonds are a girls best friend, they obviously weren't talking about me. As far as I'm concerned, there isn't a better way into my heart than to buy me tools!

So when I got this new hammer for Christmas, I decided to give it some special love – and hang it on the wall in my office.


A while back, we had a huge log delivery at the shop, and I saved a few smaller logs for projects exactly like this. I sliced off a few small slabs, it almost looked like I was making potato chips. 


Some of the slices were actually translucent.


 Once I had one that seemed perfect, I took the scrap end of the log and made a few long pegs with my tenon cutter. 


I'm not sure how it happened, but the plugs were actually a little crooked. It added a lot of character to this hammer hanger! 


To soften the front edge of the pegs, I put them in my drillpress and touched the edge with a little bit of sandpaper while they were spinning.


Since the plugs were half-inch diameter, I drilled a few half-inch holes in the right spot and glued the pegs in place. 




 Since the hammer has a little bit of weight to it – I added a few screws from behind to hold the pegs in place. 


And here it is – the 15 minute hammer hammer!


 I love doing little projects like this, they're creative and fun, and keep my skills sharp.


 Now if I can only figure out how to hang this baby!





No comments: