Sunday, April 06, 2014

This slab of petrified wood ended up in my shop, with the hope that I will build a mitered frame around it. It'll eventually be turned into a coffee table - at least that's the plan! 


It's a gorgeous piece of wood/stone - I've been staring at it for hours, trying to envision what I'm supposed to build.


The edge of the slab is giving me nightmares - the plan is for the frame to be fitted around the slab.  Considering this slab has more ins and outs than the plot in House of Cards, it's going to be a real challenge. 


This is classic "stick building" - seat of the pants woodworking. I borrowed my buddy Dan's slider saw, and started cutting some miters, fitting the frame around the slab. But - there is one small area of the slab that's giving me nightmares!


 When I originally came up with a plan for this top, I knew it was going to be a difficult project. Here's my original plan, with vague angles laid out in blue tape. 


 Fitting all the angles was giving me fits - 


I'm not superwoman, even though I play one in the woodshop!


This coffee table is going to be one of the biggest challenges I've tackled in a long time - but stepping outside of my comfort zone with a piece like this is good for me. 

Right? 

1 comment:

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

I have no doubt it will turn out fabulously!