Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The summer of 2013 - with fire and ash

People who live here in las Vegas are well aware of the fire going on up on Mt. Charleston, but I don't think it's getting much attention anywhere else. 

The fire has been burning since July 1, starting with a lightning strike. Since then, it's grown to 40 square miles, and just today, it took its first six structures. 

The sky is amazing - scary and ominous. 


 Almost everywhere you drive, you'll see cars parked on the side of the road, with people taking pictures. Luckily, the fire is pretty far away, but damn... it sure is scary looking.   

Here are a few of the shots my friends or I have taken.... wow!  This is from my neighborhood,


 and this is about a mile away from my house, when the sky was raining ashes. 


It's weird - the sky reminds me of one of those blockbuster actions films where the sky opens up and hell starts raining down.

Only this is for reals. 


A view from the airport.


My buddy Dan took these from his yard.



For people with asthma, this is a particularly difficult time. Keep your fingers crossed that we get some rain tomorrow - the forecast says there's a chance. 

No comments: