Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Another simple repair....

This door might qualify as one of the worst engineered doors I've ever seen. The stub tenon machined to hold its corners together failed miserably. I guess that's what helps keep people like me in business. Right?

To compound things - the doors (yes, two poorly made doors!) were hung on an aquarium cabinet. When the tank leaked - the drawers dampened and swelled, popping those corners wide open. 

 The good news is.... we have the technology to fix it!

I waited for the wood to dry out a bit - in this weather, in didn't take long. Once I could pull the joint closed, the repair was a simple one. 

Thanks to my friends in the medical world, I have a good supply of syringes, perfect for injecting glue into small places. 

A bit of glue, injected along the entire length of this joint mostly did the trick, as this bit of squeeze-out proves.

Clamping in both directions was necessary, I had to coax the joint back together. 

These clamp pads keep the wood from being damaged.

Finally - to ensure that the joint didn't separate in the future, I decided to pin it. The size of the tenon didn't give me much wiggle room, so an 1/8" pin was all I could manage.

Of course, I didn't want to accidentally drill through the face of the door, so I needed a stop on my bit. Some people use a piece of tape, but that doesn't work so well for me. I've accidentally drilled through things using tape as a depth stop - so I pulled out one of my Fuller Tapered Countersink bits and flipped the stop backwards, to create my stop. I can't tell you how useful these bits are!

Call me McGuyver. 

An 1/8" dowel and a dab of glue adds a great deal of strength to this joint. I pinned each corner of the door, to ward off future problems.

Once the glue dried, I pared the pins flush with a VERY sharp chisel and...

another repair completed!

No comments: