Sunday, July 16, 2023

Castle Craft to the rescue

My current project has proven challenging, but mostly because I'm working with some unfamiliar guidelines that have to be observed. The urn I'm building is heading to Italy soon, to be put into a vault that won't be opened for 99 years. So it needs to stand up to humidity, time, temperature fluctuations and more. 

After a ton of research, I've built the base with virtually no glue. All of the joints are pinned with dowels, so that even when the glue disintegrates, the dowels will keep everything together. 


All of the joinery is locked together, 


incorporated with lips, so that when the wood shrinks or swells, no gaps will allow the contents to escape.  


Like I said - it's been a challenge. 

But the lid has been even trickier. I wanted to incorporate a curve into the lid, 


and again - not using any glue makes this a tough build. I experimented with doweling a lid together, with angles cut into the 4 pieces.


 But scrapped that idea. 


I've said it before - it takes a village.

  So I reached out to Rick at Castle Craft, and he suggested cutting the curve on a solid piece on his CNC.  


It's virtually - the exact opposite of the base that I employed on the box. 


I'm not sure if this video will load, but here's the CNC machining that curve. 



He came up with a simple plan for curving the lid, and frankly - I was happy to not have to pull out my hand planes and create that curve by hand. 




Like I said - this project has been challenging, but maybe I have a good excuse... 


I have a busy couple of weeks coming up, so this may have to be shelved for a while. Between the AWFS show in about 10 days, and helping out at a friend's cabinet shop, I'll barely be putting in any time in my own shop. 

Maybe that's a good thing!

Stay cool, everyone

No comments: