Thursday, March 03, 2022

Now I get it...I'm in stage two


You know those five stages of grief that Elisabeth Kubler Ross wrote about years ago? 

I remember reading her book - On Death and Dying - in a college class, and at the time, my 20 year old brain didn't really comprehend much of what she wrote. 

But I did remember the stages - which are: 

denial
anger
bargaining
depression
acceptance

Well let me tell you - I'm in the anger stage. 


In mid January, I was on a video podcast, invited by my good friend Rick, to discuss entrepreneurialism and how Covid has affected being a business owner here in Las Vegas.

Now - I've known Rick for years - he's not only one of my students, 


but I call him my friend. A good one. 

We've shared meals, and margaritas, built things together, had long talks about business, and family, and life. In fact, as I was going through all my texts from him, I found dozens of things like this: 


That's the kind of guy he was... always thinking about others. He married his childhood sweetheart, and often told me he didn't know he got so lucky to have convinced her to marry him. They were the perfect couple, and I don't say that very often.  


Beyond that, you wouldn't find a guy more devoted to his grandkids.


 In fact, a few years ago, he made two walnut rocking chairs for them, and in fact, with a new baby added to the mix, he was planning on building another rocker. Sadly, he didn't get that opportunity.



The podcast we did together in January - The French Workbench - featured a panel of five real estate experts here in town, discussing their insights into current market trends. It was a fun interview - lively and often hilarious; you could feel their respect and affection for each other. 

If you're interested in hearing the podcast -  Click here.

After the session, Rick walked me to my truck, and we caught up with the usual - how our families were doing, what we were currently building in our woodshops... our usual conversations. It ended with an - I love ya, buddy - and I drove off, unaware that it would be the last time I ever saw him. 

Rick contracted COVID shortly after I saw him, and passed away last week. I don't want to get into a debate about vaccinations, but I have no doubt that had he been vaccinated, he'd still be here. 

Honestly, I'm broken hearted at Rick's passing - we not only lost another talented woodworker, but I lost a great friend.  

RIP, buddy. 






1 comment:

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

So sorry about your friend. So tragic.