Saturday, April 10, 2021

Another hardware challenge solved....


There are so many new pieces of hardware on the market, it's always a challenge to build a piece using something I've never tried before.  I'm not sure if the real enjoyment is finding the perfect solution....

or if the real reward is installing it and making something cool. 


Either way, a few weeks ago, someone called me about building a low tea table. He'd asked about a small table that could be used to display photos or cards, with legs that fold up under it, so that the table could be hung on the wall as a piece of art, when not in use.

Also - he wanted to experiment with pouring epoxy resin, so he requested that the top be made of MDF, with a lip around it, so that he could pour resin on the top. 

Challenge accepted!



They allow the legs to fold down flat, but also lock into place when the table is in use. 

Another plus? They're handsome, matching the walnut that I used for this build.  


Those brackets allow the legs to tuck below the surface. I can envision this piece being hung on one of the corners, so that it is diamond shaped, rather than square.  It'll be interesting to see what he decides. 



I can't wait to see what the top looks like after he  pours it - stay tuned.... I made him promise to send some pictures of it!

No comments: